Friday 27 December 2013

A selection of my favourite reads 2013

Well, everyone else is doing it.

In no particular order

Alex – Pierre Lemaitre
At first I was thinking, here we go, another book where a serial killer kidnaps and tortures a beautiful young woman. And then it wasn’t.  Amusing, original and demands you turn the page.


The Cry - Helen Fitzgerald
A striking “dilemma” novel, emotionally charged and brilliantly executed.

An Exquisite Sense of What is Beautiful – J. David Simon
I read this right at the start of the year and it has stayed with me.  Manages to be both exquisite and beautiful.  Need I say more?


Blood City – Douglas Skelton
Gangsters in Glasgow in the 80’s. A fast, furious and fascinating read. (I’m sure I could slip another “f” in there. Mmmm. Best not.)

Grim Company – Luke Scull
An excellent debut into a brand new fantasy series. Avoids the information dump a lot of new fantasy novelists feel they need to start off a series.  A great set up and a team of characters I want to spend time with. I was hooked from page one. (And the author has the best name, right?)

Norwegian By Night – Derek B. Miller
A hero in his 80s, in a foreign country, fighting to save a young boy’s life.  Manages to combine lyricism with pace.

Beautiful Ruins – Jess Walters
Cinematic, laugh out loud funny and utterly charming. You will fall in love with this book.

419 – Will Ferguson
Won the Giller Prize (Canada’s version of the MAN Booker). A prizewinner that’s readable!  An author who knows his way round a tasty sentence and a genuinely thrilling and fascinating plot. Also a reminder, if we need one, how the so-called developed world bowing at the altar of the god of profit has damaged Africa.



Nos4r2 – Joe Hill
Genuinely creep-inducing – gave me the shivers at several stages through the reading of the book. A chunky read with crisp writing, Hill gives his old man a run for his money.

I’m certain you’ll find something here to enjoy. So go, buy one or more, wontcha?

Laters,







2 comments:

  1. Loved Heart Shaped Box and Nos4r2. The last was really creepy on Audible but he's definitely worth reading even having to look over your shoulder the whole time, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex is in my TBR pile and I fancy the Joe Hill book too, haven't read any of his yet. Blood City also sounds good.

    ReplyDelete